Information and awareness
There is mounting evidence that the poor provision of information on assistive technology to the public and to professionals is holding back demand and resulting in poor decision making about the optimal way to manage health and social care.
In 2005 the Department of Health funded the Information Alliance, a collaboration between Disabled Living Foundation (DLF), FAST, Ricability and Assist UK, to map out the problems with information provision and look at potential improvements to information provision about assistive technology.
- The report on the problems disabled people face in finding information can be found here.
- A report on the potential improvidements to information provision, Anarchy or Opportunity?, can be found here.
Good quality information providers include:
- The DLF, providing practical advice on daily living equipment, including through their Living Made Easy website, external link here.
- Rica who provide in-depth reports on a range of everyday and specialised equipment suitable for disabled and older people, external link here.
- Designability (previously BIME) who can provide advice on custom and low volume equipment, external link here.
Back to top of page